Monday, July 25, 2011

Train Ride: Done it

Went to Texas Friday by Amtrak

My wife and I flipped a coin to see who got (had to?) ride the train to Texas with the kids. Riding with the kids wasn't the problem in my eyes, it was the actual train ride. 
Here comes the Train
Waiting in 100+ heat

I won (lost?) and got to ride the train. The kids were great and the ride was pretty good, but it took 1 hour and 45 minutes longer than going by car! 
The station master told us it would take a few minutes longer, because of the extreme heat. The heat makes the rails wavy and the trains have to go slower in several areas.
My wife left an hour after dropping us off at the train station in Purcell, OK and still beat us to Forth Worth, TX by 45 minutes. That doesn't count the fact she made a pit stop along the way or the additional time needed to get into the station, find us and then get back on the road to our true destination.


Neither kid had ridden on a train, so my wife thought it would be a fun experience for them. I don't know how much they noticed. I read my book and they played video games and/or watched a movie the entire trip.

I made the mistake of sitting in seats that faced the back of the train. I got a little motion sickness from facing the wrong direction. Don't think the kids felt any difference at all. I think one train ride is more than enough for me.
I am bored!

Just getting started
No wonder Amtrak loses money every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment