Monday, July 11, 2011

Trimming Trees is not for me....Anymore.. Part 2

If you are interested in the first part of this, unfortunately, true story just click the link below.
Trimming Trees is not for me anymore Part 1

Continuing the story:
I am now in the emergency room at Norman Regional Hospital and after a round of x-rays they have determined that I have several broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung. When you have a collapsed lung you do NOT get pain medication.

The Doctor was waiting to see if my lung would re-inflate on its own. The entire wait is about 6 hours.

So, we are "killing" time and this is what I here from my wife:
Wife: My husband has a DNS and I want it followed now!
Doctor: You mean DNR? He isn't Dead and hasn't been nor will he die from this injury. So a DNR does not apply.
Wife: Not DNR he has a DNS
Doctor: Ma'am it is DNR ----Do Not Resuscitate
Wife: NO! He can't stand pain so his is a DNS--Do Not Suffer and I want you to put him down..I mean put him out of my...er...his misery NOW!
Doctor: Ah, ummmm, there is no such thing as a DNS ma'am. I think you need to leave now.

Okay, Okay...it didn't really happen that way. But it DID happen like this.
Remember, I am NOT on pain medication, this is just my natural state. (You may feel sorry for my wife now.)As my wife is walking into my room in the ER:
Me: I heard you out there talking to the Doctor.
Wife: Huh?
Me: A DNS, really? Did you think that would work?
Wife: What are you talking about?
Me: I don't think they will fall for a DNS document.
Wife: Huh?...wait, what?
Me: They are not going to believe I have a DNS---Do Not Suffer document and you are not going to be able to get them to put me down!
Wife: Shut up! What are they going to think?
Me: The truth will set me free!

You should have seen the reaction of the Doctor, Nurses and trainees. Plus, my parents and both of my kids were there. I found it quite funny (as did most everyone there) Besides there wasn't any point in me lying there wallowing in self pity. What was done was done and best to have some fun with it. Granted my wife might disagree, but I try to keep people guessing and keep things lively!

No comments:

Post a Comment